Collaboration

 

Collaboration: More than the sum of the parts

 

Cover

 

More and more people are turning to small charities to solve some of the most difficult issues facing society today, whether that be the needs of children, young people or older people, whether that be homelessness, addiction, rehabilitation of offenders or the environment.  Whatever the problem many of the solutions are held in the collective knowledge and expertise of smaller charities.  It is therefore vitally important that small charities take the lead in sharing their knowledge and expertise.

Collaborating more effectively can not only help to solve social problems but can also facilitate efficiency, growth and sustainability.  Through working together we can build a stronger and more able Small Charity Sector. We acknowledge that collaborations are by no means easy, they can be delicate and complex to navigate, and when they fail can have severe consequences both on the services provided and the reputations and financial stability of the charities involved.  Therefore charities who seek to collaborate must be clear on the social purpose for collaboration and take all steps necessary to ensure success.

This research looks at the different types (or levels) of collaboration.  708 charities responded to the research with 66% reporting some form of collaboration, leaving 34% undertaking no collaboration.  Networking was the most common form of collaboration, with 90% of those responding taking part in networking activities.  Mergers, not surprisingly, were the least common type of collaboration with less than 5% of those involved in some form of collaboration being part of a merger.

Download to have a read of the full report here.

Back to Research